Updated COVID19 information and resources HERE.

Building Permit Applications

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Online Permitting for All Building Permits

Building Permit Applications Information.

Click here for a code modification form and other useful documents 

If you have any questions or unsure how to fill out the application please contact the Land Use Department at 203-312-5646. M-TH 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m.- 12:00 noon

Applications for all projects will need to be reviewed.


R105.1 Required. Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to move a lot line that will affect any existing building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

R105.1.1 By whom application is made. Pursuant to Section 29-263 of the Connecticut General Statutes, application for a permit shall be made by the owner in fee or by an authorized agent. If the authorized agent is a contractor, such contractor shall follow the provisions of section 20- 338b of the Connecticut General Statutes. The applicant shall include the full names and addresses of the owner, agent and the responsible officers, if the owner or agent is a corporate body. No permit shall be issued to a contractor who is required to be registered pursuant to chapter 400 of the Connecticut General Statutes, for work to be performed by such contractor, unless the name, business address and Department of Consumer Protection registration number of such contractor is clearly marked on the application for permit, and the contractor has presented such contractor's certificate of registration as a home improvement contractor.



R105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws,statutes, regulations or ordinances of the town, city or borough, or the State of Connecticut. Permits shall not be required for the following work:


  1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool d storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.(18.58 m2.
  2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.
    Exception: Fences used as swimming pool barriers regardless of height require a permit.
  3.  Retaining walls that are not over 3 feet (9 14 mm) in height measured from finished grade at the bottom of the wall to finished grade at the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to l.
  5.  Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
  6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work not involving structural changes or alterations.
  7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are equal to or less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  8. Swings, non-habitable tree houses and other play­ ground equipment.
  9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and which do not require additional support.
  10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2 in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R31l.
  11. Repairs that is limited to 25 percent of roof covering and building siding within one calendar year.


  1. Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.
  2. Reinstallations of attachment plug receptacles but not the outlets therefor.
  3. Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.
  4. Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.
  5. Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps and fuses or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.


  1. Portable heating or cooking appliances with a self-contained fuel supply.
  2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
  3. Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


  1. Portable heating appliances with a self-contained fuel supply.
  2. Portable ventilation appliances.
  3. Portable cooling units.
  4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping contained within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by Chapters 18 to 24, inclusive, of this code.
  5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
  6. Portable evaporative coolers.
  7. Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of I horsepower (746 W) or less.
  8. Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


  1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in Sections RI05 and RI09 of this code.
  2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

R105.2.1 Emergency repairs. Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.

R105.2.2 Repairs. Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles. Such repairs shall not include the cutting  away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.

R105.2.3 Public service agencies. A permit shall not be required for the installation, alteration or repair of generation, transmission, distribution, metering or other related equipment that is under the ownership and control of public service agencies by established right.

R105.3 Application for permit. To obtain a permit, the applicant shall first file an application therefor in writing on a form furnished by the department of building safety for that purpose. Such application shall:

  1. Identify and describe the  work to be covered  by  the permit for which application is made.
  2. Describe the land on which the proposed work is to be done by legal description, street address or similar description that will readily identify and definitely locate the proposed building or work.
  3. Indicate the use and occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.
  4. Be accompanied by construction documents and other information as required in Section RI06.l.
  5. State the valuation of the proposed work.
  6. Be signed by the applicant or the applicant's authorized agent.
  7. Give such other data and information as required by the building official.

R105.3.1 Action on application. The building official shall examine or cause to be examined applications for permits and amendments thereto within 30 days after filing and either issue or deny a permit within such 30-day period. If the application or construction documents do not conform to the requirements of this code and pertinent laws, statutes, regulations or ordinances, the building official  shall reject such application in writing, stating the reasons therefore. If the building official is satisfied that  the proposed work conforms to the requirements of this code and applicable laws, statutes, regulations and ordinances, the building official shall issue a permit as soon as practicable.

R105.3.1.1 Determination of substantially improved or substantially damaged existing buildings in  flood hazard areas. For applications for reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition or other improvement of  existing buildings or structures located in a flood  hazard area as established by Table R30I.2(1), the  building  official shall examine or cause to be examined the construction documents and shall prepare a  finding with  regard to the value of the proposed work. For buildings that have sustained damage of any  origin, the value  of the proposed work shall include the cost to repair the building or structure to its pre- damaged condition.

If the building official finds that the value of the proposed work equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the building or structure before the damage has occurred or the improvement is started, the building official shall issue a determination of substantial damage and require that all existing portions of the entire building or structure meet the requirements of Section R322.

R105.3.1.2  Zoning  approval.  Pursuant to subsection (f) of section 8-3 of the Connecticut General Statutes, no building permit shall be issued, in whole or in part, for a building, use or structure subject to the zoning  regulations  of a municipality  without  certification.


Building Required Inspections 2019

Modification Form

Building Permit Checklist